Friday, May 11, 2012

Aunt Audrey's Zucchini or Pumpkin Bread

I've mentioned before that I lost all of my heirloom recipes when we moved from Provo to Monterey. When we went to visit my parents' house this weekend, I managed to pillage the family cookbook and rescue most of the old recipes!

This particular recipe works for zucchini or pumpkin bread, and the recipe notes the small changes between the two. It's a delicious recipe from my Great-Aunt Audrey. During the summer months while I was growing up, when our zucchini plants would go out of control as zucchini plants are apt to do, we would make tons of this bread and freeze some of it for later. Around the holidays, we made the pumpkin bread and gave it to our neighbors and friends. To freeze it, wrap each loaf in plastic wrap, and then wrap it in foil.


Ingredients

1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
(Zucchini bread) 1 teaspoon cinnamon
(Pumpkin bread) 1/2 tsp each nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups zucchini, peeled and grated (or pumpkin)

Procedure

1. Beat oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Put in small loaf pans or shallow oblong baking dish.
3. Bake in oven at 325 degrees for one hour or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment